FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM COUNSELING?
Counseling means collaboration. We will be working together to explore and address your needs in a safe and comfortable environment. At times, I may request that you practice activities outside of our sessions. This will help you carry over new skills to your every day life that will help empower you.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY FEELINGS/SYMPTOMS WORSEN?
Depending on the severity of the situation...
- Sometimes we may discuss a topic that leaves you feeling unsure or uncomfortable. An important component of counseling is to learn coping skills to be able to deal with uncomfortable thoughts or feelings. I will be there every step of the way to support you! Remember thoughts and feelings are moments. Just like the clouds in the sky, they will pass.
- If at any point you find your feelings/thoughts too overwhelming it is important that you contact me. If I am unavailable and you are feeling suicidal please call 911 or go to your local emergency room.
HOW OFTEN WILL I NEED TO COME?
My goal is to give you the tools to feel comfortable and confident no matter what life brings you. During the first visit we will determine, together, the length and frequency of visits.
WHAT WILL THIS COST?
You can elect to use your insurance benefits for the initial consultation. If you choose to pay out of pocket, my one time consultation fee is $80.00. Your out of pocket expenses for ongoing treatment will be issued once we discuss the following:
Insurance plan guidelines
Undue financial hardships
Payments are expected at the time services are rendered, unless we agree otherwise prior to your session. You may pay by cash or check (sorry, no credit cards) and I will provide you with a receipt for all payments made.
DOES MY INSURANCE COVER COUNSELING?
Services may be covered in full or in part by your health insurance plan. To obtain a full understanding of your benefits please ask the following questions of your benefits administrator:
• Do I have outpatient mental health treatment benefits?
• Do I have a deductible and if so, what portion has been met to date?
• How many sessions per calendar year does my plan cover?
• Am I able to convert in-patient benefits to out-patient benefits in order to increase the number of sessions available to me per calendar year?
• Do I need to have treatment sessions authorized in advance by my primary care physician or health insurance company?
• How do my benefits differ if I use an in-network versus an out of network provider, i.e. deductibles, out of pocket expenses?
WHAT IF I NEED TO CANCEL A SESSION?
Once a schedule is agreed upon, it is important to maintain it. Cancellations require at least 24 hours notice. You will be charged for any session that is missed or cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. I understand that sometimes things come up in life, that may be out of your control. In the event that you need to cancel with less than 24 hours notice I will offer additional session times within a 2 week period to make up the cancelled session.
WHAT IF IT IS NOT WORKING FOR ME?
Not every therapist is the right fit for every person. I encourage you to speak with me if you are unhappy with my services at anytime. I accept and encourage all feedback. After discussing your concerns, if you feel that I am not the right fit for you I will be happy to refer you to another therapist who may be able to help.